Friday, November 2, 2007

Schools



On Thursday I managed to visit 2 primary schools. First I had a tour of Stone St Mary's Church of England Primary School in the morning. Then I went into a yr5/6 class at Cecil Road Primary School to watch a science lesson. Mr Chris Rutland had the students drawing mindmaps in the classroom, to gage students prior knowledge. He then took them outside to examine a variety of things under microscopes, to get them thinking about the world around them and to practice using the microsopes. It was really good to meet a teacher who enjoys teaching, is passionate about science and willing to take time out to talk to me. Got to talk about the teacher training process, science programs and resources, NIT and the inner workings of primary schools. Could have picked his brain a lot longer, but time was against me.

No comments: